Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rainy Roma and Stairways to Heaven


We left Sorrento early Tuesday morning and headed back up north to Rome. I am the only one out of my family who has not been there, so I was excited for them to show me the city. We got to our little apartment, through the strangest door and up 4 flights of winding stairs, in the early afternoon. Its located close to the river, and not far from the Vatican and Colosseum. My dad picked it for its central location, which made it super convenient to walk around. We walked a lot around the city, last night and today. I can't believe how twisted and confusing the streets are... I was able to get my bearings on the main roads but the little streets make it easy to get turned around.

The city is lively and full of tourists. I got to see most of the major sites, but its been a quick visit. It turned out that our apartment was located in the exact area of a huge nightlife spot. Throngs of people, mostly Italians under 30 and college students from all over, would come over the bridge to the many bars and restaurants that are all around our building's square and tiny streets once the sun starts to set. I am constantly amazed with the nightlife during the week.... there are so many people out at night, no matter what night of the week.

It rained a little both afternoons, but they were quick storms and didn't hinder our travels.