Sunday, July 21, 2013

Beauty: Secrets to Surviving a Sweltering City Summer

Essentials for Surviving the Summer Heat

I've lived in Europe two summers in a row, and both times, have been so excited about the prospect of going away for the summer that I always forget one small detail............ Living in Europe during the summer also means living without AIR CONDITIONING.



As an American living in the suburbs, it can be easy to become quite spoiled. My house is always air conditioned, and whenever I need to go out on a 95 degree day, I run to the car and blast the AC as quickly as possible. Then I drive happily to the grocery store or mall and shop in a wonderfully refrigerated retail wonderland that is so air conditioned that I are usually in need of a sweater. (Really, I usually keep one stuffed in my purse.)

Then I moved to Philadelphia for school, and realized that not everyone lives in a suburban winter wonderland every summer. Many older apartments don't have AC, but window units can do the trick. The worst is walking, when the cement and brick buildings seem to soak up all of the heat and radiate it back from every direction. At least the stores in the American cities blast their AC so that it filters onto the sidewalk in some places and you can enjoy a light breeze as you walk past.

And then I went to Europe. Last summer I lived for a month in a hostel in Prague. Basically a tiny, hot dorm with one window and no screen. My roommate and I had to keep the window open and still spent the whole night dripping in sweat. To add insult to injury (is heatstroke an injury?) the lack of screens meant that huge bugs would come in to visit us every night. We often would go on bug killing sprees as she stomped them, I threw things at them, and we both screamed quite a lot.

This summer in Milan isn't quite as hot as it is in Philadelphia or Maryland, (Milan is about equal to Connecticut or possibly Boston) the days in July have averaged between 80 -90 degrees Fahrenheit and are usually sunny. It is also humid, with a slight breeze if we're lucky. It cools down in the evening but the mosquitoes are so bad it is almost unbearable to sit outside.

However, I am super lucky that this summer my parents' apartment has an AC unit. My sister and I gave up sleeping in the stuffy guest room and opted to sleep in the living room with the TV and unlimited cool air. When we leave the apartment during the day, it is the typical city summer - hot sidewalks and burning sun. We usually crisscross our way down the road, switching sides of the street to the areas of ample shade. I usually start sweating in the first 10 minutes of being outside (so much for putting on makeup!) Public transit is at times, unbearable, and the stores usually have just a hint of cool air. Restaurants keep all their windows open and have tons of outdoor seating, so it will be shaded but still rather warm. Although I must say that eating outside at night once the sun is setting can be quite nice.

So, with that insanely long preamble, I've devised a list of ways to survive the summer heat, and still look presentable:

1.Face Wipes & Baby Wipes
Invest in every type of cleansing wipe available. Sweat and other city grime can lead to clogged pores and quickly cause breakouts or even just rough, bumpy skin on your face. I usually get gentle facial cleansing wipes and clean off my face whenever I get home. Get rid of that sweat before it dries up and causes all sorts of irritation.
Baby wipes are also a great investment. Summer is sandal season. Walking around all day in shoes that offer your feet very little protection can make them pretty dirty. Ever check out the bottoms of your feet at night before bed, but are too lazy to shower or hose them off? Keep them by your bed and rub down your feet before you go to sleep. This is also a great idea for after a concert or going to a bar or club.

2. Baby Powder
Another great way to stay cool and dry when its humid. I don't think a lot of people use baby powder regularly, but its an excellent thing to add to your after-shower beauty regimen. Put some on all over after you moisturize, which will help you to sweat less and stay fresh while you're out.
Baby powder is also good for hair - use it like dry shampoo. It can also be rubbed into your roots to get rid of sweaty, greasy hair.

3. Say No To the Blow Dryer
Don't bother with heat. When there's no AC, the last thing you want to do is blow dry your hair. I have been hating my bangs (which are growing out but not quite there) and so my new best friends are bobby pins. I usually just scrunch my hair, let it curl, and then either stick it in a bun or braid it. These styles, incidentally, look super cute with most casual, laid back summer outfits! I usually opt for sundresses or rompers.

4. Sunscreen
This is a given for the summer time, and many people agree that it should be a part of your beauty regimen all year long. I have sensitive skin and am prone to breakouts - so I prefer to put a light sunscreen on right after washing my face, let is soak in, then put on my face lotion and makeup.

6. Pack Light & Hydrate!
Lighten the load and carry as few items as possible when you're out and about. I like my cross body bag because its small and easy to carry. Only carry the essentials and avoid carrying a large, heavy bag of unnecessary things. The one indispensable item? Bottled water! Stay hydrated in the heat, and avoid soda or other beverages that will actually dehydrate you.

Now go have fun in the sunshine! It is summer after all, and a time to be light and carefree!


No comments: